When the system is first setup Great Plains Accounting ("ERP") software General Ledger ("GL") Account Numbers are imported into Dynamic Budgets using the Manage Company Databases routine. Maintaining a mirror image of ERP Account Numbers in Dynamic Budgets is a manual process and is managed through the Synchronize Chart of Account process and its related "Yellow Brick Road" Wizard.
It is highly recommended that immediately after a new GL Account Number is setup in the ERP, the Synchronize Chart of Accounts process is completed.
GL Accounts Numbers are listed and managed in Manage ERP Accounts as Account Numbers. Account Numbers cannot be created in Dynamic Budgets. This is by design and acts as a control such that you will only budget to valid Account Numbers which were originally created in the ERP.
For an explanation of the relationship between the ERP GL Account Numbers and Dynamic Budget's Budget Accounts Numbers, please see What is the Relationship Between the ERP Chart of Account and Dynamic Budgets Budget Account Numbers? article.
A.The "Yellow Brick Road" is a Wizard which was designed as a Dynamic Budgets workflow to setup new Entities (OrgUnits, Objects and Accounts), related user security and Budget Account Numbers. The steps of Wizard are automatically customized depending on which Entities are missing.
Customization of steps is a default setting on App Config/Menu Editor/Application Configuration/General, namely setting = 0. To display all steps all the time and not customize them depending on which Entities are missing the setting should = 1.
1. The first step of the Wizard is to identify GL Account Numbers that exist in the ERP but are not listed in Manage ERP Accounts:
a. From the dropdown menu select the CompanyDB that you wish to work on;
b. Click the "Sync Preview" button; and the following screen will appear:
B. The customized steps of the Wizard are displayed depending on the results of c.
c. This list compares the number of OrgUnits, Objects, Accounts that are listed in Dynamic Budgets (" Total entities") against the number on the ERP ("Total ERP entities") and calculates the number of "Missing Entities".
d. Please be sure to preview what each "Missing entities" is by Drilling into the Blue Underline. This provides an excellent opportunity to plan how to setup the new OrgUnit/s and Object/s in Dynamic Budgets, and to determine whether Budget Account Numbers need to be created for the Accounts. In our example, 1 OrgUnit, 2 Objects and 41 Account are missing from the 'Manage ERP Accounts' list.
e. For example, by drilling into the 1 the below message box appears. We can note that 1 missing OrgUnit is Org400- Service/Installation. Click the "x" to exist the screen.
And below is what the screen would look like if the 41 Accounts were Drilled into. Please that the Filter functionality is available and the Accounts can be added to the "Manage ERP Accounts" list by clicking on the "Synchronize" button; however, please see f. below. Click the "x" to exist the screen.
The following Right-Click Menu and Short-Cut Keys are available on the above screen:
f. Click the "Synchronize All" button to add all missing entities to the Manage ERP Accounts list. In our example 1 OrgUnit, 2 Objects and 41 Accounts will be added.
When the above message closed, the "Yellow Brick Road" Wizard updates as below. Namely, a green checkmark is added to the "Sync Chart of Accounts" step to indicate the step is complete.
In case of work interruption, the green checkmarks are very helpful as a guide to what parts of the process have been completed. The idea is to show you what has been completed and what still needs to be done.
2. Because in our example we were synchronizing additional OrgUnits, the Wizard includes a step to determine whether the ERP OrgUnit/s need to be added to the Dynamic Budget OrgUnit registry. By clicking in the yellow indicated area, the " Add OrgUnits" screen appears. Please see the Add OrgUnits article for instructions.
Once the appropriate action has been taken with regards to Adding OrgUnits and it is Saved, a green checkmark will appear in the Add OrgUnit step to indicate that the step is complete.
Once the appropriate action has been taken with regards to Manage OrgUnits and it is Saved, a green checkmark will appear In the Manage OrgUnit step to indicate that this step is complete.
4. Because we were synchronizing additional OrgUnits, the Wizard includes a step to determine whether User Permissions need to be assigned for the new OrgUnits. By clicking in the yellow indicated area, the "Assign User Permissions" screen appears. Please see the Assign User Permissions article for instructions.
5. Because we were synchronizing, in our example, additional Objects, the Wizard includes a step to manage these new Objects by setting sensitive levels and applicable flags. By clicking in the yellow indicated area, the Manage Objects" screen appears. Please see the Manage Objects article for instructions.
Once the appropriate action has been taken with regards to managing Objects and saved per below, a green checkmark will appear in the Manage Objects step to indicate that this step is complete.
6. Because we were synchronizing, in our example, additional Entities (OrgUnits, Objects, and Accounts), the Wizard includes a step to create budget accounts. By clicking in the yellow indicated area, the" Create Budget Accounts" screen appears. Please see the Create Budget Accounts article for instructions.
Once the appropriate action has been taken with regards to creating budget accounts, a green checkmark will appear in the Create Budget Accounts step to indicate that this step is complete.
When Account Attributes are updated in the ERP these changes need to be captured in Dynamic Budgets as well. To update the Account Attributes in Dynamic Budgets, from the CompanyDB drop down menu select the required company and then click the "Update Account Attributes Only" button.
Please see related article How Do I Update Account that Reports as a Negative But Has a Debit Balance in GP or Visa Versa?